I always told to never rely on one channel to bring in money. Always have some sort of hustle. And even though I have a few, I realized the other day that I have developed this skill of earning money in non-traditional ways. During my college years, I had jobs that paid a little and my parents were unable to steadily fund my Chipotle and Starbucks visits, so I had to find a way to make some extra coin and relieve some stress on my pockets. These methods definitely come in handy when it comes to getting free food, discounts, and a few bucks here and there. Below are my top three ways to save or make some extra coin and my referral codes *wink wink*
- Reselling Items – one man’s trash is another one’s treasureI love shopping as much as the next girl, but I used to have a bad habit of buying things that were cute for a night then I grew tired of them. I had practically brand new clothing (even stuff with tags attached!) taking up space in my closet. During high school, I went to Plato’s closet like everyone else, but they would pass out pennies for excellent items. There had to be another way to make resale worth my time and effort. Then came along Poshmark. Poshmark is the absolute best way to resell new or well cared for clothing and beauty items. Over the course of 3 years, I have earned $1,900 simply by my selling my closet. And let me make note, I am not a luxury buyer in no way so I was not selling high ticket items. These were $5 crop tops from Forever 21. I could write an entire post on the secret to making money quickly on Poshmark, but I will leave you with this. Take the little bit of time and effort when creating your Poshmark closet, engage, and show great customer service. I also use Poshmark as a great way to declutter my life (I do so about every three months)
- If you are selling anything else (like furniture or electronics), I personally suggest reaching out to your personal network or Facebook marketplace. Be reasonable, be safe, and be respectful and someone is bound to be interested.
- Cash Back Apps – a dollar spent might be a dollar earned
- This is a great way to make a little extra money for simply making your regular purchases. I use these apps and widgets when shopping online and grocery shopping.
- Ibotta – a cash back app I use for grocery shopping but has other capabilities! You simply go grocery shopping as usual, check with items you bought qualified for cashback, snap a photo of your receipt, and bam a few extra bucks in your account. I personally go shopping as usual and might check within the app if I want to see if a particular brand of orange juice has a coupon (might sway my buying options), but I find it only takes me about 2 minutes to upload my receipts whne I get home. Ibotta also offers cash back frequently on UBER (perfect if you uber our every weekend or use it as your primary source of travel). Why not make money for something you already planned on doing!
- Ebates – cash back through online shopping. I find ebates SUPER easy to use. I simply installed the widget to my google chrome so whenever I am on a site where I can earn cashback, the widget will light up, I click it, and continue with my purchase. This takes literally seconds. So simple and ebates has a large selection of sites that offer cash back! I have earned cashback on flights, concert tickets, and clothing purchases.
- Loyalty apps and accounts – loyalty, loyalty, loyaltyThis is probably the best way to earn free food or discounts and you can tailor it to your own personal preference. I will sign up for any loyalty reward card that requires no payments (NOT a store credit card). Almost any restaurant you can thing or store, I probably have card and most places look up your account via phone number. I am always getting discounts, coupons, and free food. I use an email account that I don’t mind being clogged with spam and I check it if I know I’m going to a certain store or restaurant. If there’s a lunch spot you keep going to, get a rewards card! Always have them for drug stores too. $10 here and there can easily earn a few $ off coupons.
I’ll admit, couponing or some of these methods do take a little bit of time and conscious thought. But to me they are worth it if you love saving money anyway possible. I have also found that once you get into the habit of doing these few things, it becomes like second nature to open your app before making a purchase or clicking a link. I actually get a little salty when I forget to coupon. A few simple tips can easily bring in a few bucks. Please let me know if you have any questions or want you to learn more in-depth ways (seriously I only covered my top 3) to bring in some extra moolah.
What’s your favorite way to make money?
Referral codes – sign up and poke around!
Poshmark – https://bnc.lt/focc/zOoz1O4nNL
Ibotta – https://ibotta.com/r/ugkemvr